Stepping Up Week 1: Where Will My Help Come From

Welcome back to the Womens Bible Cafe, where we’ll discuss our first week of Stepping Up Through the Psalms of Ascent by Beth Moore. As we read our first three Psalms this week, we imagined ourselves pilgrims on a journey with the Lord. While going uphill in our ascent, we know the enemy watches and will seek to block our path or cause us to stumble along the way. In your absolute posture of humility before God, as Beth suggests in the introduction, the Lord knows you’re giving your all to Him. “In God’s economy, the way up is down,” says Beth.  Start your lesson in humility, end your lesson in singing praises to Him.

As Beth writes “the Psalms are ample in number and endless in application.” She goes on to say “part of making our ascent is learning to take the high road. The process can begin by voicing to God the pain you’ve suffered on the low road.” In audio Session One Beth warns “Don’t let someone bring you to the low road.” It might be a good experience for this next week to pay attention to our feet- which road are we on- and how did we get there. Pray specifically and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you if you are on a journey of ascent, or one of descent. Ask for guidance about your pilgrimage, and make sure you are in obedience to the Lord’s will.

We’re approaching the season of Lent, and if you are participating, a 40-day journey awaits you. Will you sing praise songs and voice your appreciation for the Son of God, or will you grumble about making a sacrifice? Will you boast about ashes on your forehead and your sacrifice, or will you boast about the Son who gave His life for your salvation. Pay attention to the words in your song, and let them be pleasing to the Lord. Put on your walking shoes, and journey on a pilgrimage of ascent, as you sing His songs.

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm19:14 NIV

We have several new prayer requests, please visit the Prayer Wall and give your voice to the needs of these women. We welcome any prayer needs from the group. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Beth Moore Quotes

• Put your tired feet into the water of God’s Word.
  • Humility is the natural posture for anyone who grasps the greatness of God.
  • Sometimes we don’t know why we’re on a certain road with God until miles have made their way to the soles of our feet.
  • God’s first priority is relationship, not just emergency response.
  • As you study scripture, God is accomplishing something in you.

This Week’s Scripture Verse

Please memorize Psalm 121, write each verse on an index card and start memorizing it as Beth recommend on page 22 of your workbook.

1. How can emotions be avenues of worship instead of distractions? (page 16 )
  2. What connection do you see between taking an uncertain journey, and wanting a reminder that God is the maker of heaven and earth? (page 24 )
  3. Name a specific way God can help you that other people simply cannot. (page 27 )
  4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.

Jeremiah…Online Bible Study

Power of God’s Names…Online Bible Study

Most Recent…Scripture Studies

Womens Bible Cafe devotions

Comments

1. Jennifer D says

4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    a) writing out the psalms in our own words
    b) three approaches say it -> work it -> pray it
    c) how the psalms are set up
    d) personal questions–makes us think and ponder on it.

2. says

Ok, Im still catching up but since im still going over week one i had to post this revelation. At about 12:30am i was reading over day 3 in wk 1. Came across this question. ” what is going saying to you today?” I put “trust him to take care of every area of my life. Give all of me, GET REAL with Him and he will become REAL to me. I posted a blog about this for anyone who might be interested in reading it.

This study is soo what i need. thank you Christine for finding me on twitter and guiding me to this site. Absolutely loving it.

3. says

Alittle late but it seems every time i pick up my study to work though it something always distracts me. I am sooo far behind its not funny but here goes

1. How can emotions be avenues of worship instead of distractions? When i set my eyes on God and pray my way though the times i am having an emotional breakdown i find that it makes me stronger spiritual, uplifts me and its makes for quality worship time with God. If i dewell on whats bothering me(which is 99% of the time i find i get very distracted from doing anything God wants from me.

2. What connection do you see between taking an uncertain journey, and wanting a reminder that God is the maker of heaven and earth? Im not sure how to answer this other than i know when i am walking on unfamiliar territorty, going to a new place or new job or school, it can be quite frightening, or for me, having to attempt something new thats a real challenge for me(im disabled) i like to know that God is there with me helping me through my needs or desires. And i do mean know, not just read, i need to feel. I dont want to hear someone say, oh God is with you.. I want to know and feel his very presence at all time, especially the difficult one.

3. Name a specific way God can help you that other people simply cannot. Certain people within my family doesnt listen to me orr take me seriuosly alot of time. God listens all the time. And he is the only one that helps me though the rough or sad(death) times in my life. All within 6 yrs i lost a sister and a father, while although my husband tried to comfort me, God helped heal me.

4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. That would have to be Page 23. Beth is describing the psamist journey. She says ” Psalms 120 unfolds with the pilgrim still in his remote location, lamentating his living conditons and longing to be near the house of God. He looks at the hills in the distance wondering and probably fearing what might be on the other side.”

That is sooo me at this stage in my life. I am longing for something Real in my life. I sooo want God to be Real in my life. Been a christian for a long long time but life circumstances and such have desipated my faith. I know where i want to be but Fear keeps me from obtaining what i need.

4. Christine D says

1.How can emotions be avenues of worship instead of distractions?
    When I get overwhelmed with my emotions I am really trying very hard to put things in perspective. I try to turn my emotions around into worship by counting my blessings. For instance, I got really upset with my husband this week over something very silly. Instead of letting my emotions get the better of me, I stopped and just thanked God that I do have a husband to get upset with. If one of my children are pushing my buttons, I have to try really hard, but I try to thank God for the blessing of having 3 healthy and happy children.

2.What connection do you see between taking an uncertain journey, and wanting a reminder that God is the maker of heaven and earth?
    This connection really spoke to me because He made everything, He knows everything, and He is my everything. He knows everything before we do it. He knows me inside and out. He is God, He is everthing.

3.Name a specific way God can help you that other people simply cannot.
    For the longest time, I just felt like I was missing something. I have a beautiful family, a great job, etc. But, I got myself into some credit card debt because I was trying to buy myself happiness. Once realizing that putting God first and having an intimate relationship with Him is what I was missing, my life is just so much more fulfilled and has so much more meaning to me now.

4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    This was my first time to put my head to the floor. I have simply just never thought to do that. When I humbled myself before God by doing this act, I felt so much peace and love. I literally felt a spiritual hug when I was down on that floor. I was reminded that I am not alone.

5. Julie says

Got caught up and started by answering questions to week 2, but wanted to come back and answer week one questions too.
    1. How can emotions be avenues of worship instead of distractions? (page 16 )
    If we used our emotions to worship, instead of letting them distract us, we would be praising and worshipping God at all times, never ceasing.

When you take any journey, you see all that God made around you. When you take an uncertain journey, you are usually filled with anxiety and fear, and seeing all that God has made around you can remind you that he is everywhere, and there is no reason to fear.

God puts people in my life to help me and he gives me the strength and wisdom that I need every day.

4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    I like how Beth pulled in so many other scriptures to remind me that God is always there for me. One scripture that I read in this lesson reminded me that God has us “under his wings,” and that reminded me that he protects us like a parent holding a newborn baby. He always holds us close, protecting us from all harm. I love that image!

• Sue Alice says

Julie,

I am so happy you caught up. And like the study. I am glad you have stuck with it. Blessings.

Sue

6. Carin says

Sorry, I am a week behind…. I had fun meeting some of you last week.

Wow, this study is much different than the last Beth Moore studies I have done in the past. I am currently writing with cat hair on my forehead since I put my “back to the sky” in our office where my cat hangs out.

1.How can emotions be avenues of worship?-
    If we can only bring these emotions to God, I know he would say I have a plan, trust me! Hard to do that sometimes when we are wrapped up in the emotions. Praise him in all that you are in (again easier said than done). Being in the word to remind us helps too!

2.The connection with an uncertain journey-
    An uncertain journey is navigated by God. I learned that in the study of Jonah. If we keep in mind that wherever God is leading us to it is best to do it the first time. He will keep navigating us and the trip will be less painful if we do it by his way the first time.

3.God helps when others cannot.
    Peace!! No one can give us a peace like God. I have found that when I am in his word he speaks to me. When it doesn’t make sense I continue to get other confirmation. Knowing that peace in our heart is much different than trying to justify it in my head.

Special Memory ~
    This is not quite special but it stood out to me. “Don’t get in the mud with people who fight dirty”

7. Janet says

OH THIS IS SCARY…As I jump into my first ever Bible Study I feel like I (my family) is being attacked. Why can’t they just attack me I can handle that so much easier than going after my 10 year old daughter. I need many prayers for strength during this.

8. Jackie says

How can emotions be avenues of worship instead of distractions? I find that when I am deeep in emotion, like sorrow or pain, I am at the bottom of myself and alone as well. The only one who truly understands my emotion is the one who created me and knows my feelings.
    Name a specific way God can help you that other people simply cannot. Ditto

9. Anita Neufeld says

Wow! Everyone makes such great comments. I am very excited to start this!1.How can emotions be avenues of worship instead of distractions?
    I think emotions are all part of the ‘anatomy of the soul’ and the Holy Spirit recognizes them in worship. Emotions can be distracting because we humans tend to consider them extraneous or place too much emphasis on them. God desires what we bring to him, honestly and humbly.
    I have found this to be a powerful chapter this week, because so much of my life is an uncertain journey! I suppose the answer lies in the one who has the control over uncertain elements.
    3.Name a specific way God can help you that other people simply cannot.
    He sees the final product. He has a plan. He is all powerful
    4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    I have been grateful for these chapters this week, reminding myself of God’s tireless shelter.

share a comment!