Welcome to our study of the 15 Psalms of Ascent. We’ll be reading from Stepping Up, a Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent by Beth Moore, as we examine Psalm 120 to 134. These Psalms were sung on the pilgrimage to the three feasts,as the pilgrims headed to the temple to be near God. The 15 psalms are associated with the 15 steps of the temple. Be sure to look at the temple diagram in the front cover of your workbook and the last page of the workbook, as a visual reference for our study. You will be completing a total of 30 days of homework lessons, and we’ll spend two days reading each of these 15 Psalms. As Beth remind us in the Introduction Session, “the enemy knows we’re going uphill and he’ll try to stop you.” If this is your first bible study, please read about My First Bible Study. If you have quit other bible studies, please read 25 Excuses For Not Participating in Bible Study. We assume each of you have read the Bible Cafe FAQ so you understand how the online study works.
This online group is made up of more than 200 women- new Believers, long-time Christ followers, first time bible study participants, seasoned bible study participants, pastor’s wives, church leaders and women seeking a church family. These women are from around the world- the United States, Mexico, Canada, Britain, Australia, Nigeria and Afghanistan. It’s almost impossible to find a church small group with a mix like this. What makes the online group unique is the absence of time zone restrictions. We can meet as a group anytime by simply visiting the Bible Cafe and posting comments or posting a reply to another comment. Day or night, the Bible Cafe is open.
The Women’s Bible Cafe is a place where we can gather online and study the bible together. This study is an opportunity for you to spend daily time with God, learn scripture, and connect with other Christian women. An online bible study is less structured than a church small group, because we are unable to see your workbook and keep you accountable to your commitment. You’ll need self-discipline to stay on track, or find an accountability partner and work as a team. When you draw closer to God Satan will do everything to distract you, redirect you, and discourage you from completing the study. When you stumble and get off track, know who the enemy is, and hold your ground.
The Details of Our Study
- We’ll be reading from Stepping Up, a Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent by Beth Moore. We’ll read a chapter a week, followed by a group discussion online.
- Video or audio sessions from Beth Moore are available to enhance your study. Due to the expense they are optional and only the workbook is required.
- The study is 6-weeks long.
- We’ll “meet” once a week on Monday, where you’ll see a blog post such as this. At the end of the post you’ll see the discussion questions.
Assignment for this Week
- Read Week One in your workbook
- Download the Answers to the Viewer Guide
- Listen to the Audio Introduction Session or Video Introduction Session (optional)
- Listen to Session One Audio or Session One Video (optional)
Please answer this fun question so we can get to know one another: If you wrote a hit song about your life right now, what would the song title be?