Stepping Up Through the Psalms of Ascent-Launch Day

Welcome to our study of the 15 Psalms of Ascent. We’ll be reading from Stepping Up, a Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent by Beth Moore, as we examine Psalm 120 to 134. These Psalms were sung on the pilgrimage to the three feasts,as the pilgrims headed to the temple to be near God. The 15 psalms are associated with the 15 steps of the temple. Be sure to look at the temple diagram in the front cover of your workbook and the last page of the workbook, as a visual reference for our study.  You will be completing a total of 30 days of homework lessons, and we’ll spend two days reading each of these 15 Psalms. As Beth remind us in the Introduction Session, “the enemy knows we’re going uphill and he’ll try to stop you.” If this is your first bible study, please read about My First Bible Study. If you have quit other bible studies, please read  25 Excuses For Not Participating in Bible Study. We assume each of you have read the Bible Cafe FAQ so you understand how the online study works.

This online group is made up of more than 200 women- new Believers, long-time Christ followers, first time bible study participants, seasoned bible study participants, pastor’s wives, church leaders and women seeking a church family. These women are from around the world- the United States, Mexico, Canada, Britain, Australia, Nigeria and Afghanistan. It’s almost impossible to find a church small group with a mix like this. What makes the online group unique is the absence of time zone restrictions. We can meet as a group anytime by simply visiting the Bible Cafe and posting comments or posting a reply to another comment. Day or night, the Bible Cafe is open.

The Women’s Bible Cafe is a place where we can gather online and study the bible together. This study is an opportunity for you to spend daily time with God, learn scripture, and connect with other Christian women. An online bible study is less structured than a church small group, because we are unable to see your workbook and keep you accountable to your commitment. You’ll need self-discipline to stay on track, or find an accountability partner and work as a team. When you draw closer to God Satan will do everything to distract you, redirect you, and discourage you from completing the study. When you stumble and get off track, know who the enemy is, and hold your ground.

The Details of Our Study

• We’ll be reading from Stepping Up, a Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent by Beth Moore. We’ll read a chapter a week, followed by a group discussion online.
  • Video or audio sessions from Beth Moore are available to enhance your study. Due to the expense they are optional and only the workbook is required.
  • The study is 6-weeks long.
  • We’ll “meet” once a week on Monday, where you’ll see a blog post such as this. At the end of the post you’ll see the discussion questions.

Assignment for this Week

• Read Week One in your workbook
  • Download the Answers to the Viewer Guide
  • Listen to the Audio Introduction Session or Video Introduction Session (optional)
  • Listen to Session One Audio or Session One Video (optional)

Group Discussion

Please answer this fun question so we can get to know one another: If you wrote a hit song about your life right now, what would the song title be?

• Karen says:

My song title would be Trusting God in Uncertain Times

• Mary Jo says:

Celebrate Good times – come on (by Kool and the gang) – I am in a grieving period right now but I am celebrating God and I know I will get through this.

• Jennifer D says:

My song would be hold on, don’t get inpatient, relax, listen to him, and talk (pray) to him

• Diane says:

ready to get started on my Ascent!

• Jennifer D says:

Hold on, don’t get impatient, relax, listen to him, talk and pray to him.

• Deonne says:

Song–Roller Coaster!

• Kristy says:

Simple

• Abby says:

If I were to write a song about my life right now it would be titled “Never too Late” Because I am just now really getting into the Bible and learning about God and I believe that it’s just going to be ignored that I was late to the party because He is just happy that I’m here. 🙂

• Joyce says:

I’m really enjoying the study.

I have arthritis in my spine and getting on my face before the Lord is something I haven’t been able to do. But praise God the alternatives Beth Moore suggest in the workbook has improved my time with God tremendously this past week.

I’m excited about how he’s going to change my life through this study in the coming weeks.

How are you gals enjoying the study?

Peace and Blessings,
    Joyce

• Shelly says:

Right now my theme song would be Living in Laodicea which is why I decided to join my first online bible
    Study.

• Andrea says:

My song would be titled “Overwhelmed and Underfocused”. I feel as if I am pulled in so many directions as a pastor’s wife and mom of 3 who also works full-time (albeit from my home). I have really let myself become focused on such temporary thing in the last few years….

• barbara says:

orphans of god

Just a reminder of the methods Beth has suggested:

1) Get on your face, flat on the floor and pray before you study
    2) Read the Psalm aloud, in both versions
    3) Circle the references to God, underline words that touch your heart
    4) Pray the Psalm aloud
    5) Re-write the Psalm in your own words

Any questions or comments?

• mandy says:

Christine
      great suggestions. Will be difficult to do with me. I have a very hard time being Vocal (aloud) when it comes to praying or even reading God’s word. I get “chewed out” very quickly from the “non christian people in my household.

Praying for boldness!

It’s the work of the enemy, he’ll use your relationships to distract you or cause you to sin (anger). Rebuke the enemy and love the family. You may like reading the book “The Invisible War” by Chip Ingram.

• Becky says:

I like to do my Bible study and prayer time on our dock – weather permitting. I imagine the boaters going by are wondering if I am “sunbathing” when I get down on my face. 🙂 From my perspective, it has been an interesting posture, not tried before.

• Carrie says:

My song title would be “Blessed balance, Holy balance!”

• Sandy says:

My song would have to do with enjoying life.

This is my first bible study. I love that it is online. I have a new baby and it is hard to do much out of the house.

• Theresa (NC) says:

My song title would probably have to be “Forever Changed”

Just received my workbook yesterday and I am so loving this study!!

• Mindy says:

Get Movin’

• Sarah S. says:

Hmmm… a song. Currently? “Straining My Ears to Hear His Voice” He has our family in the wilderness, waiting a transition we know is coming. May I not complain about the Manna! I ADORE the Psalms. Can’t wait to dig in.

• Becky says:

My song would probably be “I Need Thee Every Hour”, for I sure do.

• Joy says:

Jesus Loves Me This I Know, For the Bible Tells Me So

I think I would have to make my song title one already used – -I will trust you! (Steven Curtis Chapman)

• Brenda says:

First time online B study for me. Going to be doing this with a friend. We are excited. My song would be “Amazing Love” He has done so much for us.

• Beverly says:

My song title would be “Interacting with someone older than four!”

I love my children dearly, but they just don’t have it when it comes to sisters in the faith!

• Andrea says:

I totally know where you are coming from. I teach 4th graders- 42 of them throughout the day, and by the end of the day I don’t want anyone touching or poking me or calling my name or asking me a question just to argue with my answer:) I, too, am looking forward to this Bible Study giving me some “adult ‘girlfriend’ time” without taking me out of the house after I get home from a long day.

• Mindy H says:

Sick yesterday so posting on Tuesday. My song title would be “God, You are so Good”. Looking forward to the study. My book has not come yet, but hopefully soon.

• Stephanie S. says:

My song title would be, “But for Your Grace.”

• Deb C says:

“Still Crazy After All These Years” With 2 boys still at home, 5 married children with 6 grandchildren (and two more on the way), a single daughter attending college, and a daughter and husband temporarily living with us (not to mention my brother who lives with us permanently)there is never a dull moment around here!
    Looking forward to focusing on God during this Bible Study and the Lenten Season.

• mandy says:

your house sounds like mine.. i had at one time. my mom, 2 grown children, sister, niece and her hubby and young kids.. 4 indoor dogs and 4 very fat and sassy kitty cats. Praying for ya sis.

mandy

• Stephanie S. says:

My song title would be, “But for Your Grace” – I have put God on the back burner so many times but yet He constantly reminds me that His grace is sufficient for me and without His Grace I would be nothing.

The other title I thought of is , “Still Crazy after all these years :-)”

• Stephanie says:

I think right now at this point in my life, my song title is
    “Lord bring back the new again, help me see you again”.
    Sometimes I feel so lost and far away from the Lord. I know he hasn’t moved and his love for me, although completely undeserved, is unending and true. Sometimes I need to be reminded of that.

• Jill in CO says:

My song “Blessed.”. I have a 2 yr. little girl and a 5 week old baby boy. Nothing better than being a mom.

• Laurie says:

Hmmm, tough one! Probably “Endless Love”

• Julie L says:

My song would be “Running on Empty Dear Lord- Fill Me Up!”

Praying for a revival in my heart. Why do I always seem to have walls I don’t even know are there?

• Tina says:

Hello ladies.
    I am so excited to be a part of this study!! I did miss tonight’s session. This is what I need right now, so much is going on and I am so heavy hearted. Looking forward to next Monday, Have a blessed week!!
    Tina

You did not miss anything, we leave the post up and you can place a comment anytime you want! Jump into the conversation 🙂 The blog post will arrive by email Monday morning, or you’ll see me post it on Twitter or Facebook once it is written. Have a blessed week!

• Amanda L says:

My song would be Busy…I’m so Busy. That is my life right now, but I am determined to engage in this Bible Study. This is my first time here on the website, but I’ve done many studys in the past. Looking forward to experienceing this one from a slightly different angle.

I am so not creative… but my hit song would have to be something like, “Breaking Point” or “Just Breathe”. I am super busy right now but trying to prioritize my life, trying not to get too overwhelmed, and as Jennifer talked about in “Me, Myself, and Lies,” trying to figure out how I can be still… Looking forward to staying caught up in this one =)

• Jenifer says:

My song title would be “living in the midst of chaos, looking for a way out.”

• Liz says:

I guess I would have two that come to mind, “Who will love me for me” (not sure it’s the title) & Stronger by Mandisa. As far as my own words, “Torn”. I am SO ready for this, I just pray I can stick w/it, the devil sure does come down hard on me when I try to get closer to the Lord!

Praying and interceeding. The closer you get to God, the harder the devil fights and blocks your path. Use scripture as your sword- the battle is already won in Jesus name.

• Liz says:

Thanks Christine! I’m about to sharpen that sword by digging into this study w/both heels! 🙂 I pray I can beat him (devil) down threw being faithful in learning the scriptures.

“keep holding on!!!”

• Joanie says:

My song might be “Lord give me your Energy Everday!”

• Melissa says:

If You want Me to by Ginny Owens

• Carin says:

A country song titled “Get a grip”

• Deborah says:

Deborah, from Pinewood, TN (50 miles west of Nashville)

My song – “I’m A-Bout-Crazy….I want to be A-Bout-Well!”

• Holly W. says:

Bound By Chains, Lord Set Me Free

• Karen says:

My song…”Take Rest In Me”

• Molly J says:

My song title would be…Always by my side. I’ve learned that no matter what I do He’s always there caring for me. God’s love amazes me daily…because I can be such a dork! 🙂

• Andrea says:

Two songs: “It is Well With My Soul” and “Give me a Coffee, I’ve Got Things to Do: 🙂

• Meg S says:

Everybody posted such good ones and some were ones I would have picked for myself! Since “Hit me with your best shot” and “the great adventure” were taken, I’ll go with “You are my only hope”. It’s already been written, but it speaks so much to my daily need for God’s love, grace, and mercy!

• Lana says:

If I used an existing song it would be “My Only Hope is in You, Jesus”
    But the first thing that popped in my head as a “made up” song is: “Twenty-four/seven.” So many directions that could go!

• Lori Sedlak says:

“Only In the Strength of the Spirit”

• Dee says:

The Great Adventure by Steven Curtis Chapman pretty well describes my present life. I’m so grateful for all of God’s blessings. Excited about studying the Psalms…wanting to learn from His word..ahh yes…this will be a wonderful and great adventure I just know it!

• Sherry says:

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord… I want to see you.

• Bridget says:

Heard this not to long ago..not sure of exact title “In my big old mess….I forget how much I’m blessed”!!

• Pam says:

Mine song would have to be God Ran. I totally love that song. It reminds me of how I was so lost and God ran to me.

• Teddie says:

My title would be “Fully Focused”. In all areas of life, including work, family, budgets, and diets, you need focus!

• Marilyn says:

Greetings from Michigan. The title for my song would be “Can’t live without You”

• Ann M. says:

My song title would be, Looking for a New Direction.

• Erika R says:

“Still trying to find my place in this World” God has definitely been working with me. I feel Him. I’m glad He’s patient. 🙂

• Janet says:

“The joy is alive in me”

• Sandy says:

Mine would have to come from an existing his song…Amazing Grace!

• HeatherJoy says:

I guess my song title would be “Hold On” and the art on the cover of the album would show a family on a rollercoaster in the front seats! Some of us are screaming… some of us are grinning… and some of us are turning green!

• Margie says:

My song: In the Valley —- heading to the Mountaintop— Praising the Lord He is with me always!!

• Debby says:

the title of my song would be “Waiting on God”

• Johanna S says:

Probably “Good or Bad- It’s all for His Glory”

Life can be such a roller coaster sometimes!

• Carol says:

“You are my savior and my strength, 24/7”
    Not that I ever doubted His being there for me, but I did take it for granted. A life altering experience made that very clear to me. Now I appreciate His presence in my life every minute.

• Sue Fisher says:

Resting in His Arms.

I’ve just recently moved and retired. I am trying to figure out what God wants me to be doing.

Sue
    KB, CA

• Lisa H says:

We talked about endurance/perseverance in Sunday school this week. Funny thing is, God is teaching me this. Or rather wants me to learn this, but I think I am resisting a bit 🙁

My song title would be: Run the race, just at a slower pace & learn something. Don’t just skim over it all. (endurance/perseverance)

• Carolyn says:

Lisa, I want to read the lyrics to your song!

• Lisa H says:

STOP! In the name of Divine Love!
        You just past the master.
        He has refreshment for you and you ran by.
        There is no going back, but He will meet you again.
        You just have to Stop & praise the Father
        Then the race is covered by Him.
        Slow and steady, keep that pace
        Endure until you hear His sweet voice
        Calling out to you to come to Him
        In the name of Divine Love.

Did I miss anything??

• Penny Hull says:

God is in the details of my life.
    I am so glad to be a part of another of your on line Bible Studies.

• Magaly says:

“There’s a Shift Going On”!!!

I’m crazy busy but I’m excited about this next study!! The last one was fabulous!!

• Samantha says:

My song would be “Riding the Fence” trying hard to get off on the good side! Life/Satan try so hard to pull me away from God. I’m trying so hard to get away from those distractions. EX: busyness, kids activities, exhaustion, sickness, finances, etc. Nothing earth shaking it’s the small things that seems to pull me away.

• Joyce says:

“Kicking and Screaming Every Step of the Way” would be my song title.

I feel so unworthy that God has given me the spiritual gifts. Notice I said “feel.”

When all is said and done I know in my heart of hearts that it’s not about feeling, but about me being obedient to the Lord’s will for my life.

Sooooo, I’m kicing and screaming evry step of the way. But that’s what I love about God, when He calls us he doesn’t erase our personality, He uses it and completes a good work in us.

• michelle g says:

My title would be..”rushing, rushing, I want to get out of the fast lane..slow down and experience each day to its fullest”

• LaTalya says:

Hello to All,
    This is my second Bible study with the Women Bible Study Cafe and I truly enjoy it.

My song title for my life would be:
    So Blessed Because He is So Good to Me!

• Carolyn says:

“hit me with your best shot” would be my theme song, although I enjoyed reading all of yours!

• Yvette says:

My song would be “Keep On Striving” by Dave Hollister

• Bree in Virginia says:

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first time doing an online Beth Moore Bible Study. I’m really looking forward to this.

My song title would be: Amazing Grace

• Karen says:

Karen, NSB Fl
    My song title would be: I am weak but you are STRONG!!!

• mandy says:

My song title would be

” OH How i want the Fire”

• Janice says:

“Will we move, or will we stay?” We are in transition and not sure where the Lord is leading!

• Amanda in NC says:

Blessed and Thankful!!

• Joy says:

My song will always be, “No words enough to thank you…”.

No ink, no paper, no thoughts, no words, no lifetime will be sufficient to express my gratitude for my Saviour’s faithfulness and love for me!
    I am blessed to have His mercy in my life.

• Sharon says:

The title of my song would be Holding On. I am holding on to life and God’s promises.

• Maureen says:

I think I would title my song: Blessed. God has been dealing with me about being thankful and I’m seeing how blessed my life is. I’m looking forward to this study. 🙂
    Maureen W.

• Tasha says:

The title of my “life-song” would be Actively Waiting

🙂

• Sarah S. says:

Tasha, I am actively waiting, too! Do you know the song “While I’m Waiting” by John Waller? It has become my theme song for this season: “I will praise you while I’m waiting; I will worship while I’m waiting…” Blessings on your waiting!

Sue Alice, Greenwood, IN

Song title:

Today I do, Tomorrow I will, This too will past with God’s Help.

Going through a crazy time right now.

• Stephanie says:

My Song would be “Busy, Oh I am so Dreadfully Busy”

• Loran says:

Richly Blessed! – Loran from SC

• Melba says:

My song title would be:
    “Patience and Love, I Need Thee”

• Karen says:

I’m so excited about starting!! We have small groups at our church but my schedule doesn’t allow me to participate most times. I thank God for this opportunity.

My song title would be “I Listen to His Voice and Follow Him”

• Edna says:

Raring to go!!! Edna from Alabama

• Maureen says:

There’s only one word that can be applied to my life right now and its short and sweet:

Crazy!

It pretty much sums up everything for me at this moment 😉