Me, Myself and Lies a Womens Online Bible Study

Today we’re kicking off our first women’s online bible study for the year 2011. Before you begin reading from your workbook Me, Myself and Lies by Jennifer Rothschild, I want to invite you to pray. Pray specifically for the other women participating in this study, for God’s Presence in our study, and for His Word to speak to you personally. Pray for an open heart and mind, and for a commitment to spend at least 30 minutes each day with the Lord. Give Him your time and He’ll give you His. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently before Him. Psalm 37:7 NIV

The Women’s Bible Cafe is a place where we can gather online and study the bible together. This study is an opportunity for you to spend daily time with God, learn scripture, and connect with other Christian women. An online bible study is less structured than a church small group, because we are unable to see your workbook and keep you accountable to your commitment. You’ll need self-discipline to stay on track, or find an accountability partner and work as a team. When you draw closer to God Satan will do everything to distract you, redirect you, and discourage you from completing the study. When you stumble and get off track, know who the enemy is, and hold your ground.

This online group is made up of more than 160 women- new Believers, long-time Christ followers, first time bible study participants, seasoned bible study participants, pastor’s wives, church leaders and women seeking a church family. These women are from around the world- the United States, Mexico, Canada, Britain, Australia, Nigeria and Afghanistan. It’s almost impossible to find a church small group with a mix like this. What makes the online group unique is the absence of time zone restrictions. We can meet as a group anytime by simply visiting the Bible Cafe and posting comments or posting a reply to another comment. Day or night, the Bible Cafe is open.

The Details of Our Study

• We’ll be reading from Me, Myself and Lies by Jennifer Rothschild. We’ll read a chapter a week, followed by a group discussion online.
  • Video or audio sessions from Jennifer Rothschild are available to enhance your study. Due to the expense they are optional and only the workbook is required.
  • The study is 6-weeks long.
  • We’ll “meet” once a week on Monday, where you’ll see a blog post such as this. At the end of the post you’ll see the discussion questions.

Assignment for this Week

• Read Week One in your workbook
  • Download the Answers to the Viewer Guide
  • Listen to the Audio Introduction Session or Video Introduction Session (optional)
  • Listen to Session One Audio or Session One Video (optional)

Group Discussion

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.

• Briana Newberry says:

Im coming in way past late but its a start. Im Briana Newberry and I bought the workbook Me, Myself, and Lies a year ago. Started and begin to get distracted. So Im challenging myself to start back from the beginning and finish until the end. My thought-closet is not where it should be in Christ and im determined to get my mind back. So thanks alot for starting this online bible study. It is really what i needed to stay connected to the vision God has for my life.

To answer the group discussion above:

1.) I would characterize my life in this present season as CHAOTIC

2.) If I could think of my heart and mind as a closet , My closet would be full of confusion and disappointment with no room for peace, joy, happiness, love, but most importantly GOD.

• Ann says:

I just wanted to say that as i was reading these comments I could feel the spirit of God moving in the lives of those who did and did not take the six week bible study class. Through his love God is changing the lives of many and building a new way of thinking. God is leading me to start this bible study class as well please pray for us as we begining our journey. I just started reading the book and i find that it would be helpful for men as well I plan on sharing it with my male friends in Christ.

• Lisa C. says:

I know you are currently doing this study, but do you think you will repeat it like you are the “Breaking Free” Study? I would love to participate in this one but prefer to catch it at the beginning. Thanks!

Lisa, if we do repeat the study it would not be for at least a year. This study is easier than others and the daily assignments are about 20-30 minutes long. If you start now, you will be able to finish the study before we start Breaking Free or No Other Gods.

• Irene says:

Im coming in a bit late but I still wanted to participate from the
    beginning. . .

1. Hopeful

2. My thought closet is full of some good and some bad. Most of the bad comes from insecurity and fear of being left alone, fear of rejection. Putting myself down physically mostly and of not being accepted of not being good enough as a wife as a friend as a daughter, sister etc etc as a person in general I think. Always second guessing my own decisions and viewpoints kind of like not trusting myself to do the “right” thing I suppose. Doubt and insecurity are the root of the main “bad” things in there.

• Jackie says:

1. Determined

2. My thought closet is gradually looking a bit colorful but still has a lot of old and dark memories that I need to get rid of and replace them with new, positive and vibrant thoughts.

• Jennifer D says:

1. Unorganized/Busy
    2. If you could think of your heart and mind as a closet, how would you describe what’s in your current thought closet? I would say it is full of stuff that I need to get rid of. Therefore, it is a matter of cleaning out the simple stuff and a matter of reorganizing different items. My schedule is chaotic as of know just because of things going on in my life. It is just a matter of making more me time and let other things go. In addition, taking out items that are not needed, and reschedule them for latter. Take time to relax. I need to learn more on prioritizing better. One of the ways I do me time is when I am in the car listen to Klove (it is a Christian music station). The other item I do to relax is to scrapbook.

• Jodi says:

1. overflowing

2. My thought closet is overflowing with outfits of all kinds and i never seem to feel comfortable or happy in any of them or none them make me feel like im good enough with the choice of outfit for the day. my closet is filled with love and concern for everyone and i feel like i fall short constantly.. im discouraged to be out of work now for 2 yrs, but i am so blessed to have a family that loves me, i just wish i could be better for them. seeking renovation!!

Jodi, I totally know how you feel about feeling that I fall short constantly. We wear so many hats, and it is hard to juggle everything. The past couple of weeks, I’ve been trying to have quiet time in the morning and tell God… Ok, Father, You know what I’ve got on my plate today. What’s most important? What do I have to get done? I’ve pretty much been asking Him to guide myself. I feel much more balanced and find I’ve been getting more stuff done than when I was trying to do it myself. Hope this study helps “renovate” you… but remember God loves You just the way you are… and He loves you too much to leave you that way if it isn’t pleasing to Him. Blessings! =)

• Jodi says:

Thank You Lauren so much! thats such a great idea to set aside some quiet time first thing in the morning to talk to God, i am going to implement this staring tomorrow.. Thanks again!

• Angela says:

1. Cluttered

2. My closet is in need of de-cluttering and organization. Just like my actual closet in the natural, there are items that no longer fit or serve me. As I’ve grown and changed, my thoughts have matured in some respects but there are still those lingering thoughts that are not of God that need to go! Thanks so much for this bible study.

• Lynn Colon says:

1. Hungry
    My closet is so disorganized. I cannot find the right thing because I am always striving to be perfect. It is hard!!! People think I have a perfect closet. This makes it hard because I can’t just say ” I have issues too!” I need to reorganize everything.

There is a lesson on perfection in this study- I think you’ll find it valuable. I’m glad you are in the study Lynn 🙂

• Emily M says:

RENEWED

I would say my current status is renewed because I am starting out the new year on a new foot. Some girlfriends and I are committed to a small group, I am joining this group, actively reading my Bible and other devotions, and as part of our small group, we deactivated our Facebook accounts because we felt it was a negative source in our lives. I am feeling refreshed already!

My thought closet is “underconstruction”. I have had experience with all of the ones mentioned already: cluttered with dirty, stained, faded, torn, worn, neglected, baggy, tight, stretched, wrinkled, outdated thoughts, but I’ve had an empty closet too, and a closet full of new, fresh, and stylish ones as well! I think I better visit UPS and get a couple hundred boxes and start cleaning out for my “renovations”!!

I love what you did with your Facebook account! I am in the process of “unfriending” about 1,000 people and only keeping my family members. I never used my Facebook account and intended it for business or bible study, so I set up pages for that and I am moving people there. I prefer Twitter because my words are in public view, I can limit them to 140 characters, and I can keep my focus on God, not me.

He must become greater; I must become less. John 3:30 NIV

• Linda says:

1. Journey

2. My thoughts are composed of many journeys, some bad and some good. I see each one as a compilation of who I am and where I’ve been; however, many journeys have left me with haunting memories and regrets that I’d like to let go of. I see that I’m living my life always looking back and I want to live my life without hinderance and regrets. Is it possible to see the past, the ones with regrets and hurts with a fresh perspective?

• Kristen says:

1. Discouraged

2. My thought closet is disorganized and cluttered. I have so many different “outfits,” I can’t decide what to put on. It’s like changing your clothes multiple times and still not sure if you really like the outfit. Indecisiveness.

• Jennifer Johnson says:

Lonely

It’s dark with torn and tattered clothing. I stuggle with self condemnation, self doubt, anxiety and guilt. God has blessed me so much and been working in my life amazingly, but I can’t seem to stop beating myself up about how I should do things better or how I’ve messed things up. I have quite a bit to clean out of my closet.

• Cathie says:

Busy

Crammed full and overflowing. Need to clean out all the stuff that doesn’t fit “thoughts that are not true” that are just taking up space.

Clutter can stick to our thoughts like overgrown weeds- sometimes we just need to get in there and do some pruning! Welcome to the study Cathie, glad you’re joining us. 🙂

• Melissa says:

1.Hopeful.

2.Troubled with too many doubts, worries and anxiety. Ready to let it all go and reenergize with positive thoughts and people. I am really looking forward to this study.

Time to get some garbage bags and let go of what no longer matters, while keeping those values that honor God. I’m glad you are in this study Melissa, welcome.

• Sue says:

So far I’ve only read 2 Days, but since everyone is answering now I’m assuming we’re supposed to.

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.
    Struggling.

2.If you could think of your heart and mind as a closet, how would you describe what’s in your current thought closet?
    Both clean clothes and those that need laundering — some jumbled — some organized and some disorganized. “A mixed bag”.

Already I have 2 notes on my fridge and my computer with “God’s thoughts toward us” and “God’s prescription for worry”. Already had an opportunity to share them with my grown son. Love this study!

Thanks for the comment Sue. Sounds like you’ve already cleaned some of the laundry, and just need direction on how to get the tough stains out. This is a a good study for that, as you’re already observing in your reading. Next week Monday we’ll discuss a few questions based on week one, see you then!

• Erika says:

1. frazzled

2. My closet is filled with many questions about myself, my purpose, and thoughts of what to do next. I know God has a purpose for me but sometimes I seem to loose track or get off course. My closet is cluttered with many thoughts of direction and wondering if I am pleasing God and those around me.

• Marietta says:

Grateful.

Pressed down, trying hard to learn the ways of God. Releasing the effort at times and floating in faith then suddenly stuck again in trying to please others. Open, asking God for help often. Receiving and grateful. Yin and yang. Seeking balance, striving to improve.

Sounds like a closet where you have to many clothes on one side, and the bar holding the clothes is slipping! I’m glad you are here in the study to balance it, welcome Marietta.

• Kristin says:

Blessed

My closet is at times guarded but appears to be in perfect order. The reality is perfection at any time can come crashing down on to the floor and be in complete disarray. I then pick it all up and make it perfect again… Or at least appear that way.

What until you week the lesson on perfection….it was eye-opening for me! This is a great study and I am glad you are here with us Kristin!

• Joy says:

1. Overwhelmed
    2. In my closet I have so many torn and tattered things. Things that have been handed down by others and I took them. I so desperately want a new wardrobe but because I have had these things in my closet for years and years I feel that they are so attached to me another words glued on to me. I feel it’s going to be extremely hard to scrape them off of me but I’m ready to try!! I’m tired of living a worn out and defeated life.

Sounds like a makeover in your thought closet is coming your way! Glad we can be here with you when you make the change. Thanks for the post Joy!

• Jennifer Johnson says:

Hi Joy,

I completely relate to you. I almost used defeated as my “one word” description. Thank God that we have so many people to walk with us in our journey!

• Karen says:

1. Pathetic
    2. I am a child of God. I know God loves me,but I don’t know how to get back on track. lost my job,back in school,have no direction,and no confidence.

Sounds like the shelves in the closet are tumbling on your head! What a blessing to have you in this study and to see you grow in faith and confidence. If you don’t mind, I’m going to place a few prayers for you Karen.

Father we pray for your overwhelming Presence to fall into Karen’s life right now. May Karen see You in every person and every place she looks. May she open her tender heart to Your love and healing, and may Karen be blessed in more ways than she could imagine. Amen!

• Debbie says:

1. Longing
    2. My closet has caked-on dirt that needs a good scrubbing. Too many negative thoughts, longing for happiness, relationship, and the need for a new direction going on in there.

I’m glad you are taking the study with us Debbie, its always good to be in fellowship as you change direction, so we can support and pray with you. Your friends will encourage you as you grow. Welcome!

• Tonesha says:

Expecting

My mind closet is filled with hope and dreams but there is some cluuter of negativity, self critism, and judgement that needs to be removed.

I remember having those same feelings and this study is good for clearing it up! After cleaning it, I realized that in order to share God’s news with others, I needed to speak from a heart filled with love, not defeat. It’s worth the journey to get rid of the junk and heal a heart divided by negativity. I’m glad you are in the study with us Tonesha!

• Ann M. says:

1. Flat

2. My closet is clean and tidy. It contains everything I need to maintain but nothing to motivate or excite me. I’ve spent time getting rid of junk and organizing. There is space to fill but I do not want to end up where I started so I am frozen with fear. Where do I go from here?

Since your thought closet is already organized and tidy, you’ll learn what to place inside it to glorify God and keep Joy inside your heart. Fear is motivated by lack of trust, you’ll want to remove that and replace it with courage and Truth. I’m glad you are here in the study with us Ann.

• Ann M. says:

Thank you Christine. Since I made this comment, I have pondered what it meant to still have fear lurking in a clean and tidy closet. Seems like there may be a few other things I left tucked in boxes and forgot about. I’m glad I am in this study too.

• Karen says:

1. Scattered

2. My thoughts … there are so many thoughts in my thought closet right now. Foremost is disgust, not worthy, failure, feelings of not being “good” enough … but, I also have thoughts of such thirst for the word of God and I AM so blessed and so thankful for all that God has blessed me with. I have such a desire to know his word and live the life that God has promised. I so need to de-clutter/purge this scattered closet of mine so that I will be able to study his word and to be able to be focused. Maybe if I get rid of all this “junk” I will finally be able to memorize scriptures!! Thank you so much for this course you are providing ..

Sounds like you have the enemy in your thought closet trying to steal your JOY and identity in the Lord. A good cleaning will remove that and Satan will be deodorized, not a daily presence. I’m glad you are joining us in the study, look forward to being friends with you Karen.

• Karen says:

Thank you so much Christine for your words. Boy did you hit the nail on the head!! The enemy is so wanting to steal my joy and identity like never before. My “thought” is because I have such a thirst and finding more ways to live in the word and in God’s way. I too, am looking forward in being friends with you as well Christine. God Bless you!!!

• Margaret Hardy says:

This is my first study and I am so excited to share this all with you. Finding this study online is such blessing to me. My life is filled with so much and being a home school mom keeps me beyond busy so busy I have not cleaned my closet in ages. Let’s just say, there is too much junk there. I really need to fill up with God thoughts! Blessings to all of you 🙂

In our busyness, we often neglect ourselves. It’s Mom-time….and each day you’ll spend time with the Lord and reflect on your relationship with Him. I’m glad you are joining us in the study Margaret.

• Kathy says:

1. Indecisiveness

2. My closet is unorganized,sad and lonely.

I’m thankful you are here to make friends and clean the closet with us, not isolated and alone! Welcome to the study Kathy!!

• Kathy says:

Thank you Christine. I have ordered my book from Lifeway, but it has not arrived–hopefully tomorrow. I can not wait to get started.

• Kim says:

One Word- EXHAUSTED

Closet- In my closet it is very dark, and full of traps to fall into. It is a daily battlefield that I struggle with.

A minefield in your closet sounds scary…I’m glad you are cleaning it up and taking claiming your ground again. Welcome to the study Kim!

• Necco says:

Unorganized

My closet is overflowing with so much turmoil right now. I need the extra junk out to make room for the things that would be of use, of benefit for me and my family. So that I can be obedient to the things the Lord is calling me to do and be successful in walking in His calling.

I love that you are making room in your heart to hear more of Him, spend more time with Him and rest with Him. I’m thankful you are in the study Necco, welcome.

• Melissa says:

1. Priority lacking

2. My closet is bursting at the seams. Too much stuff – it is time to purge and reorder my priorities.

You sound like a collector…maybe of the wrong stuff? It will be nice to unload that which clutters your closet, and feel the fresh breeze flapping through the doors. Welcome Melissa, we’re glad that you decided to join us in the study.

• Michele81240 says:

1. Grateful

2. I feel grateful to God for where I am in my life today. I also feel guilty for not placing Him first in my life this past year since moving to a more rural area and not attending bible study and church as often as I should. Participating in this online bible study is a step back in the right direction. I know that when I am not in the Word, His Word, I am lost and don’t feel as close to Him as I should.

He often uses conviction to redirect our paths and put our feet back where they belong. Maybe you have some dusty shoes in your thought closet… Time to change your path amd grab a fresh pair of faith-shoes 😉 I’m glad you are here and will enjoy getting to know you Michele!!

• Debbie says:

Michele – you have summed up how I feel- exactly! I too am in a rural area, still struggling to find the right church, and feeling guilty for not being more diligent in pursuing Him – all the while knowing deep down that when I’m closer to Him, I feel so much better! Why is it so darned difficult?!
      May He pour out many blessings on you during this study, and draw you closer to Him.
      Debbie

• Linda says:

1. Disappointment

2. My thought closet is full of disappointment and hurts that stink like a laundry basket full of dirty socks! Thoughts that are in disaray like clothes slipping halfway off their hangers. Thoughts that are tired and worn out like very old work jeans that are ripped, torn and stained. (Not the fashionable ones!). But in spite of this there are one or two old fleecy sweatshirts that are warm and comfortable.

This is a no shame zone, so come with the “smelly socks” and let’s grow in faith together! In this study we learn to embrace who we are in Christ, not who we are in the world. Once we center our thoughts on His Word and Truth, the dirty laundry smells like a freshly washed load. I am so glad you are here Linda, welcome {{{HUGS}}}

• Linda says:

Thank you, Christine, for making me feel welcome. And for the hugs! Centering my thoughts on Him and His Word and Truth is truly what i need. My circumstances I can’t change at the moment and so I am learning to “wait on the Lord” and focus on Him.

Last year, and again this year, I have chosen one word for the year. This year I chose “peace” because that is my greatest need deep in my heart. God’s peace. Jennifer said “it doesn’t have to be well with your circumstances to be well with your soul.” That summed it up for me! To be able to say “It is well with my soul” is now my goal!

• Vanessa says:

1. joyful

2. My thought closet is pleasant, generally happy and bright, but I have a few things in the back up the closet that every now and then that creep up and instill fear, self-doubt, or other negative states.

It’s good to identify what steals our joy, and then stand our ground. Looking forward to having you in the group Vanessa!

• Kabretta says:

I do not have the book but the comments are fascinating based on your discussion regarding the reading. I am interested in getting the book and participating in the discussion.

Please join us, it will not take long to read each lesson in the workbook. You’ll catch up in no time, and some women are just joining today like you.

• Kabretta says:

1. In Transition

2. My closet is full of so much pain and heartache that took place over these past two years. I have faith that I am not in trouble with God but in transition. There are alot of “why” questions in my closet but I realize once I trust God with the “why” he will give me the “how” to clean out these negative feelings that are in my closet. Focused on rediscovering who I am to God and being a great mother to my son. Realizing I need to get rid of alot of things in my closet so I can fill it with all the GREAT things God wants me to store in this new closet. It is like renewing of the mind and rediscovering you self-worth in the Kingdom of God.

“It is like renewing of the mind and rediscovering your self-worth in the Kingdom of God.” You are absolutely correct! We embrace you Kabretta, as you are, and as God made you. It is a blessing to us to have you in the study as you rediscover His plan for your life, and that of your son. God always loves…and never shames us. If you feel something less than love, often it is the enemy telling lies to your heart. Polish your royal crown, stand tall as a Daughter of the King, and enjoy the next 6 weeks of study! I’m glad you are here.

• Marie says:

I’ve got to get the book – but to answer the questions –

one word – unsure

my closet is full of so many things – wonderful, scary, useful and otherwise. I’ve got to figure out what takes first place, what needs to be moved and what goes where. what get displayed and what needs to be tucked back in.

i’m ready and willing to be used – just unsure which way, direction and such to go.

@spreadingJOY

In this 6 week study, you’ll sort your activities into bins-literally! There is a page in the book where you label your bins and then sort them. I’m glad you are joining us Marie, welcome.

• Karen says:

1. anticipating
    2. My closet is filled with thrift store clothing. It’s well worn, comfortable and didn’t cost too much. Sometimes I’m content with these clothes and other times I just want something brand new. Just like my heart and thoughts, I can be content with all the blessings that I have and know that God is using me right where I am. Then there is that longing in me for something new and exciting. I want a new outfit, a new look, just the right style and fit. I know it will come with a greater cost.

“I want a new outfit, a new look, just the right style and fit. I know it will come with a greater cost.” You gave me two thoughts with this 1) blessings do not always come with a cost and 2) perfection in having the right look, style and fit does come with a cost. It will be an interesting study as we examine this and create a thought closet centered on God’s will. Glad to have you in the study Karen, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

• Nikky says:

1. Hopeful

2. I think I have some old thoughts in my closet to pull out and see if they still fit. I have just come through somewhat of a difficult season in my life. My life has been pretty chaotic for a while now and there have been some things that I have hung in the back of the closet. I have some decisions about my life to make in the next few months that can change things. I just pray that God will lead me into making the right decisions and I will listen to His voice and not my thoughts or the opinions of others in swaying the choices that I will make.

In making your decisions, your first priority is always obedience to God. “His will, not mine” is a constant affirmation for me based on John 3:30 NIV “He must become greater; I must become less.” When you clean your thought closet, you can filter your decisions and feel confident you made the correct one. Looking forward to studying this with you during the next 6 weeks Nikky!

• Charity says:

Disorganized

Cluttered, I cram all the needs of my family and friends in and try to shut the door but it won’t close. Everyones needs are pouring out. My needs, wants and wishes are in a container on the floor collecting dust.

You sound like a compassionate person and people are flooding your closet for help. Organizing the closet will help you manage your needs with theirs. Glad you are in the study with us Charity!

• Kara says:

Stacks

It seems I am always adding to my list of things to do and things I am thinking about. I try to keep it all organized, but in stacks. Certain things I know I need to do and spend time on seem to end up at the bottom of a stack, and when I take time to re-organize and re-visit the bottom of the stack, I am reminded of their importance again.

So in re-arranging the closet bins, you want to put important things first in your life. Should be an excellent study for you then, because we cover this in the study. I’m glad you are sharing this experience with us Kara.

• Tinesha says:

1. WAITING 2. My closet is filled w clutter. It is overloaded w thoughts of everything that has happened in my life, replaying over and over again. I am WAITING for a new beginning.

You’ll have an action plan by week six of the study, and no longer in a holding pattern. With organized thoughts, you’ll know where to go and what to do. Enjoy the study Tinesha 🙂

• Erin says:

1. Scattered
    2. My thought closet used to be positive and open and airy. It has become cluttered and much more negative. I need help with realizing that I can not control everything that is happening in my life. I am hopeful that with this bible study I can get more fresh air and see that although some frustrations are constant and will not change, I can turn to God and try to see things more positively.

In the six-week study, you’ll learn to filter those thoughts through a Christ-centered heart. Thank you for your openness Erin, glad you are in this study with us.

• Kelly says:

Overflowing!
    My thought closet is filled with years of guilt and negativity from my past, the overwhelming work, wife and motherhood thoughts of the present and hopeful, positive, want to accomplish thoughts for the future…my closet door can’t even close anymore!!

When we de-clutter a closet, we have room for new things. This sounds like the perfect time for you to be in this study, I’m thankful you are here Kelly.

• Raquel says:

1. Blessed

2. My heart, mind and life feel “full”! For the past 2 1/2 years I have been undergoing a huge transition in my life. I stepped out of the corporate rat race to focus on my health and having a full term pregnancy. Fortunately, we were blessed with a beautiful baby girl. In fact we have two beautiful girls (2 years; 8 1/2 years). However, now I feel like I’m entering the rat race again….but it looks and feels a little different. Instead of long hours at the office and traveling……my time is spent carting kids to activities, volunteering at the school, helping with homework, etc. I keep getting presented with other “external” work opportunities…and I’ve continued to turn them down but they are coming up more and more and they are getting more and more tempting…..PLUS I have all of these thoughts about the dreams I had when I stepped away from the corporate world about how I’d spend all my time. Has any of that happened? ….well…Yes and No. I really need some closet decluttering to be able to pause and really listen to what God desires in my life. What does He expect from me? How does he want me to use the talents He blessed me with?
    De-cluttering, pausing, patience, listening….etc……is much needed!

When your thought closet is cleaned and organized, its easy to say “yes” to opportunities that fill God’s purpose for you, and “no” to opportunities that are not God-inspired. I’m thankful you are taking the next six weeks to focus on something that truly matters: you. Busy moms forget that they too are Daughters of the King…especially when raising two princesses of their own. 😉 I know how you feel, my daughters are age 9 and 12.

• Becky Roode says:

1. Progress

2. Lots of bright and positive, God-glorifying things. Unfortunately I know that I’m trying in my own power to keep those the things in my thought closet. Learning to hand over all control over to God. Some things are zipped up in storage and need to hauled out. I thought they were gone, but for some reason they continue to show up in my closet. I know that Satan takes great delight in my keeping them around…hoping I will pull them out of storage and wear them again. I want to be rid of them.

There must be a reason you keep them sealed in protective bags…in this study you will dig into the bags and find out what needs to be preserved and what you can let go. I’m glad you decided to join the study with us and look forward to sharing our experiences in the next 6 weeks.

• Stacy says:

I just read your post, Becky, and you hit the nail on the head…why do things in storage that you thought were hauled out, mysteriously show back up in the closet? I feel the same about many things…thanks for sharing some positive words in your post!

• Stacy says:

Whirlwind

Dark, dingy, dusty, filled with dust and old things that are of no use with bright splashes of color peeking out…things falling on my head out of nowhere when I open the door….am ready to open the door to a clean, organized, dust-free, cobweb-free heart and mind..there is hope though, as the bright splashes of color in my closet are very bright!

• Ann Marie says:

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.
    UNCONTROLLABLE

Sometimes my closet is filled with contemplation and sometimes it is filled with hope. Both seem humanly logical to be in my closet except then it makes my closet look like a trampolene where you can bounce around. My heart and my mind are telling me two different things and they are opposite. Sometimes I don’t know which one God is working thru because sometimes I feel strongly in my heart and then I can turn around and feel strongly in my head with a different choice. This is in regards to one current situation in my life. BUT, regardless, I know God is always with me whether I’m contemplating or hoping. When I get to the bouncing on a trampolene stage that’s where the memorizing my bible versus for armor come in handy. Since I began the SSMT, I can already tell a difference.

• Margarita says:

1. Hope

2. My closet is in stagnation, I have not grown as a Christian in years, by basically switching priorities in my life, and not staying steadfast in the Word. There also cobwebs of unforgivness, lack of faith, disapointments,loneliness. Yeap they need to be clean out and I need to fill my closet with Christ promises.

1. Hopeful
    2. Overflowing… trying to juggle my husband, an 8 year old, work, a part-time job, volunteer work, etc. etc. I’ve made my mind up, though, to put God in the center and let HIm take care of everything else. He’ll take me day by day… and clean out all those negative thoughts that tend to creep up as I get absorbed in what I feel like I “just have to” do. I completed this study in the fall but am going to work through it with you guys again because I still have those negative tendencies… habits are hard to break! But Praise God I’m so much better! =)

Good time for a spring cleaning, sometimes we need to do this more than once when the Spirit convicts us of it.

• Melissa says:

Lauren, I can so relate to you too. I too am stuck in the “just have to” so much so that even when I am able to have time to myself, I don’t always enjoy it. I can’t wait to get more into this study. I am already enjoying it so much.

• Kathy says:

Enslaved to guilt
    My closet is full of clothes that no longer fit just as my mind is full of comments of others that probably don’t fit me either but I keep trying them on for size. I need to purge my closet of those items that do not fit with God’s image of me.

1. Recovering
    2. My thought closet is filled with lots of ‘damaged goods’! Damaged goods meaning that I battled with low self esteem for a long time. I’ve had lots of negative experiences happen in my life and I think over time..I felt like “damaged goods”. I had lots of negative things to say and think about myself and currently the stage in my life is RECOVERING. I’m recovery from depression and low self esteem. And it will be nice to organize and clean out my entire thought closet and start fresh. I know I am a CHILD OF THE MOST HIGH and it’s about time I start thinking and living that way.

I’ve been in those shoes Angie, and once you complete the recovery, you realize how much the Father loves you and you’ll be absolutely in love with Jesus your Savior. You are and always have been a Daughter of the King. Somewhere along the way- Satan stole your identity. Claim it back and stand your ground. Studying the bible keeps your heart focused on Him and not on your past, as He washes it away with His Word.

Thanks Christine. You know this is random but I absolutely love the song Nothing but the blood of Jesus! The part where it says what can make me whole again..nothing but the blood of Jesus…SO TRUE!

• Cindy says:

1. Rescued
    2. My closet is the I can’t decide what I am going to wear closet. It seems like I stand there and what if myself. What if I do this what will happen, what if ___ doesn’t like it, what if I am wrong, what if no one ever loves me for me, and on and on and on. I need to remember that I am making decisions on an audience of one – God, but I can be going about my day and realize that I have a what if scenario going on in my head.

When you carry this around, imagine slinging it over your back like a backpack. The more “what-if’s” you tuck inside the backpack, the more it weighs you down and slows your progress. I look forward watching you unload these doubts in your thought closet and replacing them with truth in Him.

• Janice says:

Transition
    Just getting settled in a new state. Thoughts of finding a good church, friends are all swirling around in my head.

• Kathy says:

1. chaotic
    2. My natural reaction to life is to have negative thoughts in my closet. If I am not very careful, my mind gets clogged with them. I am constantly in a “mind battle” against thoughts that have been there a long time. Often I feel defeated because it seems that I am battling against the same things in my mind over and over and over again.

• Pamela Womack-Canon says:

1) Painful
    2) My thought closet is very much like my real closet; its full of beautiful pretty things that I’ve not been able to wear because of the physical illness of fibromygalia; I can no longer fit into my clothes because of the weight gain that medications and lack of exercise have caused; the high heels are too painful and dangerous; my closet is a constant reminder of how fast a life can change; I try to remain positive but at times it is extremely hard. I wrote a song called, “Room & Board” three years ago that I have to make myself sing to remind myself that even in my toughest times of pain, I can go to the tender arms of Jesus for comfort.

• Matie says:

1. Love

2. My thought closet is filled with an abundance of ideas. Worried that I will never find my calling. Thinking too much. Trying to let it go and let GOD guide me towards my calling/career, but fearing that time is passing by and I still do not know what my calling is.

• Anne says:

1. Mismatched

2. Conflicting thoughts and emotions fill my closet. I know in my heart that God has given me talents, gifts, and many people to love who love me in return. Those “clothes” fit and feel good each day. But many times some old t-shirts resurface that read “you are unloved”, “you are not as worthy as others”. I need to get rid of those ill-fitting old clothes that didn’t work for me then and don’t work for me now.
    I loved Chantelle’s analogy of the “hand me downs”… things others had and passed on to me.
    Those need to go!

Old shirts are comfortable or have memories associated with them, so it’s easy to slip them back on. When you look in the mirror your heart says its not who you are now. We need to find a way to get rid of those memories so they don’t hang in your closet. I pray this study will do this for you Anne.

• Anne says:

Thank you for your prayers Christine.
        Sara Groves’ song “Painting Pictures of Egypt” is a moving reminder that there is no returning to the “slavery” of old thoughts, even though we are drawn to what is comfortable about it.
        Each day this study is clarifying my thoughts for me and feel God’s desires for me coming more to mind.

• Teresa says:

1)Restless

2)My thought closet is very dark, dreary and full of worry. It has been filled with ugly, scary things through out the years both real and imagined. Self doubt brought about by both failure and the fear to fail. It is like the monster in the closet, you know nothing is there but sometimes it is hard to convince yourself.

I just want to welcome everyone to this study as we seem to HAVE a big group. I have been doing this Cafe`since last summer and enjoy every mintue I am here. This makes the fifth or sixth study I have done, I am also doing “Jesus One ans Only” as are a few more. I wanted to say a prayer for all of us..if I can do this…I usually do not pray aloud…so this is a first….here goes.

Lord,

Please Lord watch over all these woman as they participate in this study. Please give them a clear mind and peace as we study your Word together.
    Let each woman feel your mighty Presence in their lives as we do this study.
    Give us each an openness to feel your Holy Spirit, and have a open heart and mind to let your Word enter each one of us.
    Also please let each of us learn to unclutter our minds.
    At last Lord please let each of us find the time and commitment to do this study, and all finish strong.

Asking this in your Son’s name,
    Amen

Thank you all for letting me do this and reading this. Hope I have not offended anyone as this was not my intention. Blessing to each and everyone of you.

• LaTalya says:

1.) Unaccessible
    2.) I have 3 children, ages 8,7 &5 yrs of age, and I can’t seem to find time to access my closet at times. I am just worn out many days. I want to get to know myself or find myself all over again and begin anew. Only God can provide the positive path for me and I so dearly need Him.

• Jo-Anne King says:

1. Abundant/GRATEFUL!
    2. Piles of stuff/papers/ideas/plans/& should do’s that continue to make my brain at ‘Lot Full’ capacity! I have been diligently working for 3 years to simplify and have had slow progress (but progress!) in purging and controlling our house and my thought life. Although I’m still full, I can finally see some weakening in the towers of stuff – they are coming down … I know it!

Some towers take a long time to build, yet they can fall rather quickly. I recently read that it takes more than one person to build a bridge, or for that matter, anything.

• Kim says:

1. Colorful
    2. My thought closet is filled with bright thoughts, positive energy, and love. With that said, however, there are still some gray areas in there. I liken those to traditions and untruths that need God’s light to shine on them so that the true color can be seen. You know? I’m all about Light, Truth and authenticity.

Like you Christine, this is my second time through this study and I have to tell you, where I am now compared to where I was then are totally different. I’ve grown tremendously, but I still have more growing to do. I so love how God keeps exposing His truth and transforming me in the process.

Thanks! This study is one of my favorites. Yeah!

Believing God,
    Kim

I’m reminded of Isaiah 64:8 NIV

Yet you, LORD, are our Father.
      We are the clay, you are the potter;
      we are all the work of your hand.

1. FRUSTRATED

2. What is in my thought closet…it is dark, dank, smelly and moldy….full of unkind thoughts, words of the people around me, and I can not let go of these thoughts….like a well worn-out pair of jeans. I need to do some decluttering and shoveling in there.

The only jeans I own are Mom jeans. Maybe I should look at that image and put on some “me” jeans, who I am in Christ, not just who I am at home with my family and friends. Thank you for the inspiration Sue.

• Lynn says:

1. Hectic

2. You know how some people have several different sizes of clothes in their closet? A whole wardrobe in a larger size in case you aren’t successful with your diet. Then a whole wardrobe of smaller sizes for wishful thinking. Of course, there is the current wardrobe that you currently wear. That describes my thought closet as well. There are thoughts that hang around in case I am defeated because I am used to not being successful in that area. Then there are great thoughts that I don’t really expect to happen but I hang on to them in case God chooses to do a miracle. I know I need to clean out the clutter and live in the present but it is really hard to let go of some thought fashions that have been around for awhile.

Thought fashions! Great message Lynn….because fashions are inspired by trends, and easily changed. We need to clothe ourselves in Truth, through Christ. God’s fashion trend-the Holy Bible-has held firm for over 2000 years. Never out of style 🙂

• Alisha says:

1. Exhausted

2. My thought closet is unorganized, full of things that i need to do, lists of things that need to be done at work. Things that i need to accomplish myself. worry’s about the rest of my family. i just need to get rid of all negative and bring in the positive.

It’s good to have a goal and focus Alisha, you’re on the right path. I’m thankful you are involved in this study.

• Delon says:

1.) Clutter
    2.)There are things that do not belong there. Some of these things are old and some things I can not even find. It’s like a junk drawer. One minute it’s cleared out and nice and neat but then it’s back to cleaning it out again like a Spring cleaning.

You’ll need to examine who or what keeps filling the junk drawer. I’m glad you are in the study Delon.

• Renee says:

Oh, I like this image. A junk drawer! Isn’t it amazing how that happens to the real drawer? So this is a good comparison.
        Christine, I like your comment as well … who keeps filling the drawer again.

• Mindy says:

1. Renewed
    2. Unorganized. There is a lot in my thought closet. I’d like to organize my mind to bring forward that which is positive, godly, encouraging, supportive, and move to the back or discard that which is hindering.

• Kellie says:

1. Confused
    2. My thought closet is filled with clutter. Lots of things that I should not spend the time thinking or worrying about. I am hoping to be able to learn how to organize and throw out most of these thoughts.

You will learn to identify the thoughts that clutter your mind, sort them, and retain those thoughts that honor God.

• Renee says:

1. healing
    2. My thought closet is divided in 2. Slide one side of the doors open and you will see God and positive thoughts. Slide the other door open and you are going to see some worry.

Another great image…I am rebuilding my daughters bedroom closet and both of her closet doors are off. Everything is exposed.

• Rhonda says:

1. Frazzled

2. Full of fall and winter clothes (not very bright clothes and a little heavy). Looking for a brighter and more positive attitude so I can act more like Jesus and less like myself!

Just those 30 minutes each day in bible study should refresh your day and center in in Him. Glad you are in this study Rhonda.

• Jackie says:

1. Passive

2. I am a thought hoarder. Everything sounds like a good idea at the moment and they find their way into closet (all with the best intensions), but the thoughts that get used every day are passive, easy, uninspired … So my closet does have dreams of finding a job I really love or maybe moving to a place with a lower cost of living so I could stay home with my children, of redecorating my bathroom in a lovely shade of pale blue, or powerfully leading my women’s church group, of finding an art teacher to mentor my daughter … I really need a filter!

Beautiful imagery of the thought filter.

• Jennifer says:

This is my closet right now, too. Sometimes I feel like I’m a child in a toy store, with a gift card, and I just don’t know what to use the gift card on. There are just so many choices! I need to be more grounded, and refer back to God’s Word, to give me the answers.

• Alethia says:

1. Overwhelming
    2. A bunch of clutter. The clutter is made up of lists of things to do for work; ideas for how to be a better mother and wife; fear and stress that there is never enough time; hopes to better myself to become healthy and fit but discouragement that it will ever happen – to name a few.

I am instantly reminded of the book called “Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life.” I’m a Martha…we should be great friends!

• Sarah S. says:

1. Waiting

2. My thought closet (like much of my life) is cluttered. Some thoughts swirl to the front and are pure and immediately a selfish or judgmental or prideful thought falls smack on top of the pure thought. I have some decluttering to do in there.

Each year in January I de-clutter my home and closet. So I thought it was a perfect time to lead this study at the Bible Cafe. While I am cleaning my old clothes, unused items and clutter- I will be cleaning my thought closet at the same time. When I clean my home I create piles of items to donate: used books go to the local library, childrens clothing goes to the hospital thrift store. I have a physical and spiritual cleaning going on simultaneously. 🙂

• Karen says:

That is a great point Christine. This study is perfect timing for me. My goals and resolutions are always material. I need a complete makeover in my thought closet.Thank you Lord!!!!!!!

• Jennifer says:

Praise the Lord for leading me to this group! This really is the perfect timing. His timing is always so perfect! I have been so cluttered, and its starting to get really overwhelming. I have so many new endeavors, including homeschooling my son’s first year in the upcoming months, and I’m a newly stay-at-home mom. I desire to lead my children to God’s Word, and I desire his Word too. I need direction, and the patience to learn His Word and apply it to my life, and also to set a godly example for my children.

When I became a SAHM we downsized our home and expenses. We gave up a nanny, gardener, and housecleaner and I had to become all those. I read this fantastic book, called Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominquez. It shows the value of staying home and reminds you how much you are helping your family and finances by NOT working. A fresh perspective 😉 I got my copy from the local library to save money.

• Chandelle says:

1. erratic

2. My thought closet is full of hand me down thoughts. Thoughts from other people about me that I’ve held on to for some reason and just can’t seem to let go of, like an old pair of jeans. It’s dark and dingy and really needs some light!

Great visual of hand me down thoughts! We carry the thoughts of our parents and grandparents from generation to generation. When we examine these thoughts through the heart of Jesus, we let go of what we no longer need and retain the thoughts that honor Him.

• Melissa says:

I can so relate to your thought closet. I’m not good at putting things down into words, but that is perfect for my thought closet as well.

• Sandra says:

I’m not a part of this bible study but found the topic interesting. When I read your post, I thought, “wow”, that sounds like me. My thought closet is filled not just with other peoples’ thoughts about me but filled with thoughts of how I can fit into others’ view of me. Thank you for sharing. You’ve stopped me in my tracks.

1. Awakened

2. My thought closet is filled with dust. Tiny scraps of thoughts that are hidden in the back of the closet and need to be removed so they don’t clog my mind and heart.

I was reading my own comment this morning and had to laugh! I’ve already completed the Me, Myself and Lies study and this is the second time I am taking it. Having dust rather than junk in my thought closet is a reflection of how effective the study was for me. 😉

• Deb McPherson says:

1. Overwhelming!

2. My thought closet is filled with a mix of things old and new. Not sure what fits or what works with my life.

Time to clean it up. Author Jennifer Rothschild is very gentle…and funny too. You’re going to love this 6-week makeover to a new thought closet. Thanks for posting the comment Deb, glad you’re joining us in this study.

• Jennifer says:

1. Overwhelmed

2. So many many thoughts and desires floating everywhere that need to be settled. It is very cluttered, and it longs for orderly patience.

Welcome to the study Jennifer!!! January is a perfect time to toss out what no longer fits, and make room for order. I’m glad you decided to join us 🙂

• Jennifer says:

Thank you Christine! I give so much praise to our Lord for leading me here. I’m now overwhelmed with gratitude! I pray that the Lord will continue to bless you for creating this site, and for your all of your work in sharing His Word. I’m so excited! I have just ordered the workbook today, so I am hoping it arrives before next week. If now, I must have patience. But I will be participating in these discussions because the Lord led me here.

Share a comment with our readers!