Week four in Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted by Priscilla Shirer, closely follows on the heels of last week’s study where we looked at the messes we make when we stray from God’s plan, and how He can use it for His glory. While God loves us no matter what, His desire for us is obedience. Sometimes that means doing something we do not want to do, other times it means waiting for His timing. Neither is easy, and we often seek to take matters into our own hands, much like Jonah did. We often end up with the same result. While we may not be swallowed by a fish, we end up in situations that are not good for us, and God rescues us. He still wants us to be obedient and do what He has called us to do. Before we can do that though, our hearts must be transformed and we must be willing to obey. Once we are, God will send us out on the path He has called us to. We will not be going alone, but with the Holy Spirit. Nothing we face is too great or difficult because He is empowering us. We should never do things on our own, but through the power of the Holy Spirit so God alone gets the glory. I do not want people looking at what I have done. I want them to stand back from something and say, “Wow! Look what God has done! ” He alone!
When we choose to meander on our own paths, and seek out our own ways, God is not finished with us. He will be there waiting when we are ready to come back and do what He has asked. He will offer his never-ending grace and forgiveness. Just be ready to be obedient, as that is what He truly wants. Instead of writing more for you to read, I really feel the Lord is asking us to spend some extra time searching our hearts for areas of disobedience. If you find some, go to Him in prayer. He is waiting to take you in His arms, clean up the scrapes and bruises, and set you back on the journey He has called you to. If you know He is calling you to something, spend time in prayer and commit to it. He loves you unconditionally and more than you can imagine. Go to Him, and embrace your Divine Intervention.
In audio session four, Priscilla recommends reading the book by Iris Blue. The book is called Iris: Trophy of Grace.
Please pray for clarity on how to reach the Ninevites, the people God wants you to serve. We welcome any prayer needs from the group and ask that you will print a copy of the prayers, place them, in your workbook and pray for these women. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.
Priscilla Shirer Quotes
- Only after we’ve been squeezed by God can we be poured out. (from audio session four)
- The bible bulges with account after merciful account of individuals who’d blown it and yet were offered the clemency that only a compassionate God like ours could give.
- Our second chance brings us full circle to the place where we have to chose full obedience.
- God gave the Spirit to the disciples as an internal compass to help them find their way.
- Obedience necessitates self-denial.
This Week’s Scripture Verses-NASB
But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. John 16:7
No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. John 15:15
For Next Week
- Read Week Five, pages 105-125 in the workbook
- Listen to the Session Five Audio (optional)
- OR…Listen to the Session Five Video (optional)
Group Discussion- Answer one question or as many as you like
- Do you see God actively searching for you, or hiding from you? Why? (page 89)
- What keeps you from moving forward in obedience to God? (page 92)
- Are you currently at Joppa, the place of decision and the crossroad of obedience? (page 93)
- Have you ever tried to compensate for your rebellion with God? What did you do to make amends? (page 99-100)
On page 89 Priscilla asks you to write a letter of your second chance story. If you’d like to share it here with the group, email us and we’ll post it for you.
Laying Down My Life,