25 Scripture Verses For Pride

By November 18, 2009Scripture

25 SCRIPTURE VERSES FOR PRIDE

25 Scripture Verses On Pride

In the NIV bible, there are many scripture verses on pride; these are just a few. Read through the list, find a few favorites, and memorize them. Better yet, print a copy and keep it in your handbag or computer bag! When you find yourself waiting- such as carpool, at a doctor appointment, or for a class to begin- pull out the list and read it.

1. I will break down your stubborn pride. Leviticus 26:19
  2. The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks and make your home on the heights, you who say to yourself, ‘Who can bring me down to the ground?’ Obadiah 1:3
  3. His pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the LORD his God. 2 Chronicles 26:16
  4. In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God. Psalm 10:4
  5. For the sins of their mouths, for the words of their lips, let them be caught in their pride. Psalm 59:12
  6. When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11:2
  7. Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice. Proverbs 13:10
  8. Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18
  9. A man’s pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor. Proverbs 29:23
  10. The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride. Ecclesiastes 7:8
  11. The eyes of the arrogant man will be humbled and the pride of men brought low; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11
  12. I will punish the world for its evil, the wicked for their sins. I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty and will humble the pride of the ruthless. Isaiah 13:11
  13. Babylon, the jewel of kingdoms, the glory of the Babylonians’ pride, will be overthrown by God like Sodom and Gomorrah. Isaiah 13:19
  14. The LORD Almighty planned it, to bring low the pride of all glory and to humble all who are renowned on the earth. Isaiah 23:9
  15. But when his heart became arrogant and hardened with pride, he was deposed from his royal throne and stripped of his glory. Daniel 5:20
  16. “Do not go beyond what is written.” Then you will not take pride in one man over against another. 1 Corinthians 4:6
  17. Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load.  Galatians 6:4
  18. Your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God. Deuteronomy 8:14
  19. Unleash the fury of your wrath, look at every proud man and bring him low. Job 40:11
  20. Though the LORD is on high, he looks upon the lowly, but the proud he knows from afar. Psalm 138:6
  21. The LORD detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished. Proverbs 16:5
  22. Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud. Proverbs 16:19
  23. Before his downfall a man’s heart is proud, but humility comes before honor. Proverbs 18:12
  24. The LORD Almighty has a day in store for all the proud and lofty, for all that is exalted (and they will be humbled). Isaiah 2:12
  25. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 1 Corinthians 13:4
  26.  Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor. James 4:10 (NLT)

Source: www.BibleGateway.com -NIV Version

• Carolyn Nelson says:

Thanks

• benard says:

I like the programme am working on a message for couples and one of the topic is dealing with pride. Thanks guys God bless. Pst benard Jcc Southlake-NAIVASHA Kenya

• apam says:

Pride is my most hindrens to grow high in spiritual life.. thank you for sharing the key scriptures on pride..

• Elroi says:

As I read so many wonderful words I just like to add if we esteem other then ourselves pride would not exist, and not to think highly of ourselves as we ought to. Accept a corn die to itself it abide alone, die in Christ and he shall exalt you in due measure.

• Annoymous says:

I have discovered over the years that my pride has held me back from truly enjoying the life and plans the Lord had for me. I am only twenty years old, but I know in my heart the Lord has amazing plans for me, plans that will save lives and Glorify Him. Throughout the past couple of years, I have brought down so many people in path, made people feel worthless, and have not felt any remorse over it. I felt I am above mostly everyone and don’t need help from anyone. I’ve also forgotten about God. The one person who has been there for me the most, I’ve put after my own selfish doings, evil doings. I don’t feel good about myself, and I’m scared that not that I want to turn my life around and work on being humble, it work out well in my favor for all of the nasty things I’ve said and done. I’m terrified God won’t want anything to do with me. I just want to be a new person.

• The devil will tell you that you are worthless, unforgiven, and can’t be in relationship with God. Realize that the words you hear are unhealthy and creating a stronghold for you right now. There is no such thing as a perfect Christian, rather we are all forgiven sinners in fellowship with Jesus. Get to know Him through Bible study, listening to podcast sermons, connecting with an online Bible study and a local church. You are loved!

• jackie says:

Hi, thanks for the scriptures, they helped me a lot in my struggle with pride.Learning to be humble !!

• Anne Gooch says:

Thank you for all these verses! I take notes at church each week and then I will add my own notes and bible verses. This will help me do a week long bible study from what we talked about in church on Sunday. This week we talked about Pride and Anger. Thanks so much and I have it in my notes where I got my info from so I can keep coming back! Thank you and God Bless 🙂

• Amaka says:

I always think and sub-conciously say “I don’t anyone is better than me”. Is this pride or self-confidence. Please need your thoughts and advice.

• What does the Holy Spirit tell you, He knows your heart. Ask Him and He will answer Amaka.

• josh says:

Amaka god delivered me from that, its insecurity ask god to deliver you as well read psalms 139 jesus says were fearfully and wonderfully made

• Michael H says:

Philippians 2:3 (NLT) Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.

Our fleshly challenge since birth is measuring ourselves constantly against those around us. When we measure ourselves against Christ, we are humbled, but it is only in that humility that His Grace can meet us and change us! It is not a battle you’ll win, but gets easier the more we fix our eyes on Him, instead of others.

Hope that helps! Blessings!

• Annalee says:

I have read the above comments and all of them was speaking directly to me. God is a good God, when person can reach out in different ways to comfort each other, this is putting pride aside and doing what is right counting ourselves equal. This pleases God.

• lfeoma says:

Pride is a land mark of satan

• lfeoma says:

Pride goes before a fall.lf there is spirit of pride in u God will bring u so low.But if u humble yourself he will lift u high above

• Sue Horner says:

Dearest Sara,

I have been where you are as far as your thinking, and I’m sure many have asked some of those same questions such as why do some have so much and some so little and why do some have to struggle so much in this life and others seem to have things handed to them. But take courage and strength because you can be counted among the rich–rich in the things that truly matter because you have a a personal relationship with the God Almighty! Keep the courage and faith because all the pain and struggle we go through, God uses it to strengthen us and help us grow.

When I feel downhearted, angry, or hurt because of the actions of others, I pray that God will create in me a clean heart and renew a steadfast spirit within me and help me not to dwell on the things that bring me down. Try not to waste good energy on bad and instead take your petitions to God in prayer. He will give you the strength to get through. I believe that!

Take care and may brighter days be ahead for you real soon.

Suzanne H.

• sara says:

I felt like I drew the “short stick” in life. Nothing goes right, jobs start good and end miserably. People I thought were my friend, I find out later were not. I would start to ask, why am I so unhappy. Why do good things happen to people that don’t deserve it?! Then I read a devotion about looking down on others. Even though I didn’t initially think I was “looking down” on those people, I was. I was being prideful and selfish. I became bitter and angry and started thinking I deserve better things than those people. And that’s not right! PLEASE pray for me to keep working at loving instead of being selfish and prideful. Its so much harder than I ever thought it would be. It’s hard when you work your but off for everything you have, and are still struggling to get by. And then see someone just handed everything. This is a lesson God is trying to teach me! S

• Melanie says:

Keep the faith Sara. Trust God’s plan for you and confine to seek him in all your ways. He is a God that never fails and will keep you in perfect peace. May God be gracious to you and make His face shine upon you. Be blessed and be healed in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ

• Tanisha Parkinson says:

Will Do Sis! I understand all of what you said I have been through and go through the same thing . Continue to trust God for all your decision making and remember as long as we delight in what he is doing in us first and working outwardly He promised to make things work out for your good. I believe we as believers need to understand we are ALL (ME) filled with so much pride. But thank God for his blood that cleanses and redeems. He is doing great things for you and the best is yet to come because one things is for sure you belong to the King(Jesus) and you have his TOTAL FAVOR (BELIEVE THAT)and all your needs will be met I will pray 4 you 🙂 Continue to seek him and not give up on the great things he said he has for you . Suffering doesn’t last always but it yields a great fruit that God is pleased if we delight while we go through . Continue to forgive and love my Friend

• Danielle says:

The bible clearly explains that we are not to be prideful. I took some time thinking about this and wondering how to stop being prideful. Then as I read 1 Corinthians 4:13 God gave me a revaluation. For me to over come my pride God wants me to focus on loving overs around me. Instead of putting judgment upon others (which would be prideful) God wants me to love. Just as 1 Corinthians states love is not prideful. It would be so hard for me to stop being prideful if I didn’t replace it with humbling myself and loving others. Instead of focusing on stoping the pride I believe if I focus on increasing the love and compassion for others and decreasing my selfishness then I will see pride vanish in my life, by Gods grace.

• Brad says:

Please Pray for me. I have never felt like I do now. I dont wanna be prideful or arragont or jealous but its like i have no choice . I resist and resist but its like a hot fire in my stomach
    I really believe what i need is a good fast to break these chains. Thanks in advance

• Twi says:

Hey Brad, we all struggle with pride and numerous other things. But remember to ask God to help you because with Him nothing is impossible, after all the Bible says that “when the Son sets you free, you are free indeed.” John 8:36

• Karen says:

Thank you so much scriptures. Right now I’m on this road of overcoming my pride specifically in college. As a first year in college, I’ve been competitive with classmates, comparing each others’ grades on exams and so on. I realize being prideful does not show that I am one of God’s holy people. I also come to humble myself and see that I am no better than anybody else on this earth. I am not a “righteous” person as I look down and judge other students who are partying, drinking, smoking because I am prideful how I am heading in a direction to follow the Lord, Jesus and they are not, however through this process I shouldn’t looked down on others but love and pray for them.

• Bonnie says:

I’m wondering about pride… I take pride in my work! I take pride in my appearance! I take pride that I am a caring and understanding person. I want to pat myself on the back at times and sometimes I need to tell someone about my accomplishments. How can I do this with-out being full of pride? I am proud to be a christian! Is it a fine line we must walk?

• Are you giving God the glory, or yourself. That is the fine line.

• Becky says:

There is a difference in “vain glory” and “self-worth”. Both are renamed “pride” in English. Other languages have a distinction between the two. Our worth comes from our God given talents. He doesn’t want us to bury them (like in the parable) but to share them. This is the natural “pride/ worth” that results from God’s blessings and gifting. If we take credit, then it is “pride/ vain glory”.

• Fran says:

Thanks for this… Glory!

• Donna says:

Does anyone respond t these posts?

• Donna says:

I do not know who is prideful myself or my spouse. I want an explanation aboutnhis behavior visiting strip clubs but al I get is I am sorry. I need more than that. Is it my pride or his that keeps that from being enough for me?. I do not want to continue to be the fool. He thisk that I am being too prideful.

• A wound as deep as this cannot be answered here Donna, I’m sorry for your hurt and pain. While my heart wants to respond and advise you, often the Lord prefers that I pray and lead you to seek counseling for your situation. My opinion does not matter much…. you need to turn to scripture, turn to God in prayer, and ask the Holy Spirit to convict you about healthy boundaries in your relationships. Please take time to contact one of the trained counselors at Family Life eMentoring, the information is here:

• Claire W says:

Donna: I pray that this is already resolved& that the devil did not use it 2 break up your marriage. I hear your hurt & i hear that your husband is bound & needs prayer & deliverance . Know that we wrestle not Againest flesh but Againest spiritual wickedness in high places, Ephesians 6:12. The war will be won by Prayer, fasting (6-12 pm or 6-3pm, or 6 -6pm) most time in the bible 3 days is. Seen. As the time frame of dying & resurrection. You & your husband if possible will need 2 be reading the Bible for here is where the weapons of Your warfare r found. The word of God is your. Sword! Be blessed,Elder

• bjlamar says:

For many years I didn’t ask God for anything. My reasoning was first I was unworthy, and second what I wanted to ask for seem so trivial. I have since realized that I didn’t ask God for help because I was too proud. I say this because I ultimately did ask for help and found it to be a humbling experience.

• Sue says:

I have recently learned how subtle an enemy pride can be. Over the past few years, it has crept into my heart causing outbursts of anger, or sullen bitterness, when I thought others were not making proper room for me in the new churches I had been attending after moving home. I had been in ministry, in leadership, for over 30 years, and suddenly now was a “nobody”, being forced to “climb the rungs”. I was deeply offended, angry when overtures to those in leadership spurned my advances for friendship. I was also wounded by younger members of a congregation who called me “Ma’am” or “Ms So and So”, because it made me feel old, and I did not want to be reminded of this. Soon I didn’t know how to relate to anyone. I just felt hurt, and angry. What’s worse, I felt justified for my feelings. But this past weekend, confessing my sins to my pastor, I felt only deep shame and remorse. I also realized how UNjustified my anger had been. That all of my reactions were rooted in pride and arrogance. Thank you for these Scripture verses. I have never truly understood their veracity or their import until now.

• Sandra says:

Thanks for these words of truth. Has there been room in my thoughts for God?

• De'Atray Hawkins says:

These comments and posted scriptures blessed me and helped me to really see the pride that I battle with on the day to day basis for what it truly is; evil, destructive and the COMPLETE opposite of God. It’s time to get rid of this pride.

• molly says:

Came here for a reality check… my business has been taking off, and I’ve grown to have too much pride. It’s an ugly way to be.

• Kara says:

soooo gooood. these verses are so right on. This world is so full of pride and everyone is always trying to make others think highly of them in some way. I’m a freshman in college and I know I’m definitely guilty of this and just recently realized how much of my pride I’ve been holding on to. I’ve always just cared so much about what other people thought of me. I always wanted to be liked and respected by all. This is not why we are here on this earth. We are here to point to God for all our successes and not worry about what the people of this world think about us when we don’t go “party” every weeked or decide to hang out with the “uncool” people. I have to constantly remind myself that this world is going to end, but the kingdom of God will live forever!! My reputation here on earth is going to mean nothing to me when i’m in Heaven so why does it matter so much to me now? it really shouldn’t. We need to live for God, not ourselves and our own reputation! God is so incredible, so faithful. this world is full of lies. Time to let go of my pride and give it all to Jesus Christ, the one who saves:)

• Christine Smith says:

Very wise words Kara. Sometimes God puts you in places where others will see Christ. Hope you start a bible study small group for your college friends! 🙂

• Heidi says:

Just searching for verses on pride this morning and this is just what I needed! Thanks for posting! Blessings!

• good guy says:

does anyone know any bible chapter that speaks extensively on pride?

You might want to study the book of Jonah. Pride is woven throughout the bible yet the story of Jonah shows how God had a plan for him and he decided to go his own path.

Any Christian book about strongholds will also help, such as Breaking Free by Beth Moore. Men and women have both benefited from this book.

• Julia Stewart says:

I have lost two of the most important people in my life all because I have too much pride. All I had to do was say i’m sorry and let go of all my pride but I didn’t do that. Now that I’ve admitted to the fact that my pride has gotten the best of me, I can now move forward.

• DAFFY says:

Thank you so much for these scriptures. It takes strength to admit you have pride and even greater strength to look it up to better yourself. God bless you for these scriptures.

• Peter Obasoto says:

Just a point of correction: Ps 138:6 and not Job 138:6

• Christy says:

Your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God.
    Deuteronomy 8:14

There is no room in our thoughts/hearts for pride and for God—as these scriptures point out, when we become prideful we forget God. We forget to give Him credit for our blessings, gifts and accomplishments. We pat ourselves on the back and look for approval from man. Lord, forgive us and help us to ALWAYS give you the glory and the honor. Everything I am and everything that I have are Yours.

• LAStreetPreacher says:

Consider what a man is but so many bags of bones and muscle and sinew which moves under the power of pride and pride is a most hateful thing to God. How many a pastor will cry out against the sin of adultery or some other uncleaness but who will grab the viper of pride and hold it fast to his bosom. While the sin of adultery may have killed it’s thousands the viper of pride has killed its millions. My friend either kill this viper of pride or it will kill you. Make no mistake here. “The WICKED, through the pride of his countenance, WILL NOT SEEK AFTER GOD. God is not in all his thoughts.” Proverbs 10:4