25 Scripture Verses About Pride

The Bible has much to day about pride and we learn from scripture that God Hates Pride. Those participating in the Breaking Free Bible Study are spending an in depth look at the subject.

In our daily Bible study, we’re learning about Biblical Kings tempted with pride, the impact of pride on their lives, and the truth of scriptures.

As we study the Bible we look for direction and commands for our life. We learn through the teachings of Jesus and the writings of scripture.

There are numerous scripture verses about pride, because God hates pride. As you read through the list, post a comment about your understanding of the verse on pride or being proud.

Below you’ll find a collection of 25 scripture verses about pride. If you’d like to add a special verse to the list, please email the blog author.

25 Scripture Verses on Pride

1. I will break down your stubborn pride. Leviticus 26:19
  2. The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks and make your home on the heights, you who say to yourself, ‘Who can bring me down to the ground?’ Obadiah 1:3
  3. His pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the LORD his God. 2 Chronicles 26:16
  4. In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God. Psalm 10:4
  5. For the sins of their mouths, for the words of their lips, let them be caught in their pride. Psalm 59:12
  6. When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11:2
  7. Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice. Proverbs 13:10
  8. Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18
  9. A man’s pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor. Proverbs 29:23
  10. The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride. Ecclesiastes 7:8
  11. The eyes of the arrogant man will be humbled and the pride of men brought low; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11
  12. I will punish the world for its evil, the wicked for their sins. I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty and will humble the pride of the ruthless. Isaiah 13:11
  13. Babylon, the jewel of kingdoms, the glory of the Babylonians’ pride, will be overthrown by God like Sodom and Gomorrah. Isaiah 13:19
  14. The LORD Almighty planned it, to bring low the pride of all glory and to humble all who are renowned on the earth. Isaiah 23:9
  15. But when his heart became arrogant and hardened with pride, he was deposed from his royal throne and stripped of his glory. Daniel 5:20
  16. “Do not go beyond what is written.” Then you will not take pride in one man over against another. 1 Corinthians 4:6
  17. Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load.  Galatians 6:4
  18. Your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God. Deuteronomy 8:14
  19. Unleash the fury of your wrath, look at every proud man and bring him low. Job 40:11
  20. Though the LORD is on high, he looks upon the lowly, but the proud he knows from afar. Psalm 138:6
  21. The LORD detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished. Proverbs 16:5
  22. Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud. Proverbs 16:19
  23. Before his downfall a man’s heart is proud, but humility comes before honor. Proverbs 18:12
  24. The LORD Almighty has a day in store for all the proud and lofty, for all that is exalted (and they will be humbled). Isaiah 2:12
  25. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 1 Corinthians 13:4

Source: www.BibleGateway.com -NIV Version

Comments

1. Anne Gooch says

Thank you for all these verses! I take notes at church each week and then I will add my own notes and bible verses. This will help me do a week long bible study from what we talked about in church on Sunday. This week we talked about Pride and Anger. Thanks so much and I have it in my notes where I got my info from so I can keep coming back! Thank you and God Bless :)

2. Amaka says

I always think and sub-conciously say “I don’t anyone is better than me”. Is this pride or self-confidence. Please need your thoughts and advice.

• josh says

Amaka god delivered me from that, its insecurity ask god to deliver you as well read psalms 139 jesus says were fearfully and wonderfully made

• Michael H says

Philippians 2:3 (NLT) Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.

Our fleshly challenge since birth is measuring ourselves constantly against those around us. When we measure ourselves against Christ, we are humbled, but it is only in that humility that His Grace can meet us and change us! It is not a battle you’ll win, but gets easier the more we fix our eyes on Him, instead of others.

Hope that helps! Blessings!

3. Annalee says

I have read the above comments and all of them was speaking directly to me. God is a good God, when person can reach out in different ways to comfort each other, this is putting pride aside and doing what is right counting ourselves equal. This pleases God.

• lfeoma says

Pride goes before a fall.lf there is spirit of pride in u God will bring u so low.But if u humble yourself he will lift u high above

4. Sue Horner says

Dearest Sara,

I have been where you are as far as your thinking, and I’m sure many have asked some of those same questions such as why do some have so much and some so little and why do some have to struggle so much in this life and others seem to have things handed to them. But take courage and strength because you can be counted among the rich–rich in the things that truly matter because you have a a personal relationship with the God Almighty! Keep the courage and faith because all the pain and struggle we go through, God uses it to strengthen us and help us grow.

When I feel downhearted, angry, or hurt because of the actions of others, I pray that God will create in me a clean heart and renew a steadfast spirit within me and help me not to dwell on the things that bring me down. Try not to waste good energy on bad and instead take your petitions to God in prayer. He will give you the strength to get through. I believe that!

Take care and may brighter days be ahead for you real soon.

Suzanne H.

5. sara says

I felt like I drew the “short stick” in life. Nothing goes right, jobs start good and end miserably. People I thought were my friend, I find out later were not. I would start to ask, why am I so unhappy. Why do good things happen to people that don’t deserve it?! Then I read a devotion about looking down on others. Even though I didn’t initially think I was “looking down” on those people, I was. I was being prideful and selfish. I became bitter and angry and started thinking I deserve better things than those people. And that’s not right! PLEASE pray for me to keep working at loving instead of being selfish and prideful. Its so much harder than I ever thought it would be. It’s hard when you work your but off for everything you have, and are still struggling to get by. And then see someone just handed everything. This is a lesson God is trying to teach me! S

• Melanie says

Keep the faith Sara. Trust God’s plan for you and confine to seek him in all your ways. He is a God that never fails and will keep you in perfect peace. May God be gracious to you and make His face shine upon you. Be blessed and be healed in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ

• Tanisha Parkinson says

Will Do Sis! I understand all of what you said I have been through and go through the same thing . Continue to trust God for all your decision making and remember as long as we delight in what he is doing in us first and working outwardly He promised to make things work out for your good. I believe we as believers need to understand we are ALL (ME) filled with so much pride. But thank God for his blood that cleanses and redeems. He is doing great things for you and the best is yet to come because one things is for sure you belong to the King(Jesus) and you have his TOTAL FAVOR (BELIEVE THAT)and all your needs will be met I will pray 4 you :) Continue to seek him and not give up on the great things he said he has for you . Suffering doesn’t last always but it yields a great fruit that God is pleased if we delight while we go through . Continue to forgive and love my Friend

share a comment!