More of His Courage-Seminar Two (Day 4)

Welcome back to the Bible Cafe as we continue our study  Pursuing More of Jesus by Anne Graham Lotz. We’ve included On My Cross by FFH for you to watch today!

Today’s Scripture Verse

If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now, however, they have no excuse for their sin. He who hates me hates my Father as well. If I had not done among them what no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason. John 15:22-25

Thank you Jesus for teaching us and leading us through this Bible Study. Your words are a blessing to us as we seek more intimacy with you. Be near each of us, as we open our workbooks and study your commands. Guide us into your word and heart. Amen.

Individual Activity

Complete pages 40-41 in your workbook.

Group Activity

What are your thoughts about today’s lesson? Is there a verse you want to discuss?

• Desiree says:

Thank you Pam!

I think I try so hard to “get it” and maybe I’m just getting in my own way. Other times, I just don’t trust myself enough to know that what I am learning is good, right, or useful. Maybe I need to not be so judgmental with myself and just be more open to what I am reading. I so appreciate your thoughts and ideas, and your sharing with me your insights. I am so grateful for you…

Thanks again!!

• pam says:

Thank you Desiree, I am glad my sharing helped. I don’t mean to sound like a knowit all, because i’m certainly not, but have been through a lot, and have learned a little that I hope will help others. Thank you for letting me know it did! and some very helpful words? Be kind to yourself….simple words once said to me, but they had a profound effect…

• Theresa says:

This is the perfect explaination to Ignorance is Bliss!

He Came…He Saw….He Showed (miracles)… He Taught us Right from Wrong

So He and the Lord God were Hated.

Why??? Because He called them on sinning. He took away their “OH We didn’t know that was Wrong!” excuse for sinning.

Then He fulfilled scripture. Scripture that reads “…Don’t let those who hate me without cause Gloat over my Sorrow” Psalm 35:19 and “Those who hate me without cause Outnumber the Hairs on my Head…” Psalm 69:4

They hated Him because he exemplified righteousness. They hated Him without cause.

• Pam says:

Desiree, I have read your comments throughout and think your openness and honesty is so refreshing and good! Sometimes I need to feel I have answers to be grounded and not feel unsettled. This is my way of dealing with life’s mysteries. But, I think it is true that we don’t have all the answers, and He doesnt’ necessarily want us to, or we would be His equal. We just have to know the Answer. Jesus. I truly believe that the more we seek of Him and the more open we are, as you are, the more He will give us.
    One verse that helped me a lot is “God is not the author of confusion, but of sound mind and wisdom”. I paraphrase, and never remember exactly where verses are, but I remember the gist of verses and sometimes repeat them over and over until they sink in. It says that if we lack wisdom, we can ask and He will abundantly give. That is what you are doing! and He will give you an abundance.
    These passages being read individually trouble me, as I like to read them in context. Yet at the same time they make me think.
    Hate. A Strong word. But what other word would you use for the peole who flogged, spit on, put thorns on, and struck nails into you? I think that is hatred at it’s strongest. We tend not to like strong words in this day and age. Yet, strong convictions evoke strong responses.
    Jesus was talking to His disciples throughout this chapter and was preparing them for what would happen to them if they went out and spoke about Him to the world. He was rejected, they would be also. He was martyred, and each of them died a martyr’s death. It flies in the face of “name it and claim it” religions who profess that all will be easy street once we know Christ and ask for all sorts of good things and He will give them.
    That is not the true calling of disciples. “Birds have a nest, but the Son of God has no where to lay His head” We are not promised the easy road here, but we are promised a home in eternity that He will come and bring us to. While we are here, there most likely will be hatred by those who do not like to believe that Jesus is the Way, or that the Bible has answers. I think more and more we are called to stand firm in the world that says there are no absolutes, no truths. This will cause others to probably not love, not like and unfortunately maybe even hate us. Yet, the Bible asks, are we seeking the approval of men now, or of God? and I believe we all are seeking God with his Holy Spirit leading!
    So, Desiree, God bless, and yes God will give you wisdom, He already has!

• Desiree says:

I’m not sure exactly how to comment on today’s lesson. I think the word “hate” in the scripture means rejection. I am confused as to exactly how the meaning is to be interpreted. I am a little lost and really do not understand what I am reading. I will keep at it though, and hopefully God will reveal His wisdom to me soon… any women willing to help along the way will be much appreciated too… LOL.

• Penny says:

Jesus fulfilled the OT and therefore the people He is/was speaking to, who knew this and also had seen His Miracles…still hated Him and the Father.
    We have the OT and the NT and see miracles everyday…do we LOVE HIM and the Father…more and more each day?

Share a comment with our readers!